BLOGGER TEMPLATES AND TWITTER BACKGROUNDS »

Monday, August 17, 2009

Firsts

I remember Christmas, 1989. Seriously. I was four and a half. Most people can't remember this early in childhood in detail. But I do. I remember we still had our woodstove in my first house, I remember my brother got a Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles sleeping bag, I remember we still had my first rabbit, Obade (don't ask). I remember my dad still living there. I also remember getting something similar to this:






Except, it was a metallic pinkish-purple. What went along with it was this:




Michael Jackson's Off The Wall cassette tape. Yes. While my friends were playing with Barbie's, and Rainbow Brite, and Easy Bake Oven's (I still have one, actually), I was dancing in my room to Michael Jackson.


I had the Bad album, as well, which this boombox later destroyed and turned into The Chipmunks' version of it. Everyone had "Thriller", I do believe, so of course I did, as well. I knew all of the songs by heart (some of them had my own made up lyrics) and my mom did, too, despite never being a fan, herself. I remember when my dad first got together with my stepmom, we would have dinner at her apartment, and she had the VHS of "Moonwalker." Remember that? I bet most of my readers have never heard of it. It was a compilation of Michael Jackson's concerts and music videos, and the movie version of "Smooth Criminal." That thing must have been watched thousands of times, just by me. I would watch it over and over again. I actually found it on YouTube and had to relive memories by watching it part by part. I still remembered most of the lines from it, despite nearly 16 years passing since I last watched it!





When the Dangerous album came out, I made my mom and step dad watch the celebration on TV, and the releases thereafter of the songs "Remember The Time" and "Black and White." (Which, I have to comment on, is weird I brought that up because Shaq is on TV speaking about doing the "Remember The Time" video.)

It continued thereafter, too. I watched all of the specials made, including the short film Ghosts, which had the songs "2 Bad," "Ghosts," and "Is It Scary?" I loved the release "You Rock My World," which had Chris Tucker in the music video. I drove everyone nuts. I'm sure most of my friends will probably want "Billie Jean" played at my funeral because every time it came on at the club I'd go nuts and make a fool of myself. Michael Jackson was a huge part of my life, from when I was just a little girl with a crush, to when I was a teenager and loved to dance, and now, when I'm all grown up but still love to dance on the bed and sing his songs. Chris has witnessed this and I'm not ashamed to say he has and always will be one of my all-time favorite artists.

Despite the bad publicity, rumors, and accusations he faced while still alive, I never believed any of it. I got so offended by my mom watching that junk on TV and actually believing it. I was pissed off at people at school for calling him a pervert, and not ashamed at all to say I didn't buy it and that I hoped he got off on the charges. It is obvious that because of the strange life he did lead (how would your life be if you lived in the spotlight from age 7 on?), he was picked on and singled out, and many tried to alienate him.

I just want to say that Michael Jackson will live on forever in my heart, and I will always remember him by dancing and singing to every song he ever made. I hope that his memory can live on without all the negativity. I think the King of Pop deserves that, at least, in his death.

What was your first memory of Michael Jackson? Or your favorite memory?

0 ghetto sass: