BLOGGER TEMPLATES AND TWITTER BACKGROUNDS »

Wednesday, September 9, 2009

Late A-Z Wednesday

I've decided to do this as a distraction. 

This week's letter is 'E'.  I haven't been able to unpack all of my books for lack of shelves and space, so I could only find one book starting with the letter E.

Synopsis: Well, this is more of a reference book for the indie and emo music culture.  As a punk rock fan, I bought this for entertainment, and to understand where the term "emo" originated.  It's informative in a humorous way, mocking and poking fun at the stereotypes that come with the sub-genre of punk music.  Everybody Hurts talks about not only the music, but the pop culture phenomenons that now go along with it, giving names of books and movies that are now defined as emo. 
My thoughts?  Hmm.  I've been labeled emo since it first became known as a stereotype.  A few of my friends and I joke that I was emo before anyone knew what emo meant.  This book was hilarious for me to read, because it is so dead-on in its explanation and examples of "emo" things in life.  It lists cities that are known for being emo; books, tv shows, food, clothing lines, and movies.  The Perks of Being a Wallflower  by Stephen Chbosky and The Catcher in the Rye by J.D. Salinger are two books that are named dropped in it, and cities like New Brunswick, NJ; Seattle, WA; and Portland, OR are named to be some of the most "emo" cities in the country.  It gives instructions on how to make your MySpace emo, including a step-by-step process for taking the best picture.  Most of my readers aren't in the punk rock scene, so I wouldn't expect anyone else to understand, but this book is the perfect by for any person fitting a stereotype in the punk rock scene.
So that's my A-Z Wednesday.  I'll have a better one for 'F' next week.

5 ghetto sass:

Stephanie Faris said...

I knew some emo types in high school...back in the 80s. Although they weren't suicidal that I could tell. They just loved to dress in black and were unique in their thinking. They were among the most fascinating people to know. Like Molly Ringwald in Pretty in Pink, only wearing black!

Nicolette said...

lol, Molly Ringwald and the John Hughes movies are mentioned in the book as being emo. :) But yep, that is when it first became a real stereotype.

Maybe that is why I love those movies. :)

Susan R. Mills said...

My daughter talks about emos all the time. I guess there are quite a few of them at her school. I think they are intersting people and would make fascinating characters for a book. I loved the Molly Ringwald movies, too.

Nicolette said...

the EMOS! LOL! Ohhhh I gotta laugh at that! The ones that wear the skin tight jeans these days, with belts swung low and not in belt loops, Converse shoes? And of course, the signature black hair hanging over one eye?

NOT emo, most of the time. I work at Hot Topic, which is THE place for "emo" kids to shop. Most of them don't understand the meaning of emo. They are "scene". This is way too long for a comment! I'll just blog later. :)

Anonymous said...

reading blogs can be quite the learning experience - i didn't even know what emo was! now that you've mentioned it those emo characters are the most interesting even in movies for me. especially the teen ones i tend to hate watching, but when i see an emo character, or semi- emo i tend to remember them. i'm pretty sure i've never met a totally emo only a semi- emo, if there's even such a thing, hmmm, they only semi- interested me... 8-}