BLOGGER TEMPLATES AND TWITTER BACKGROUNDS »

Sunday, August 23, 2009

What's Your Style?

I'm not quite sure how some readers are, but for me, writing in complete silence is awful. I prefer to listen to background noise. And in specific, music. I love it. It is the perfect inspiration to write. Sometimes, how I perceive a song's lyrics can lead to a total story in itself. In fact, I've written many stories based on lyrics of my favorite bands.

Recently I've discovered iTunes radio. My friend used to listen to it all the time while we scrapbooked (I'm creative in more than one way), but most of the time I just got frustrated because there were so many commercials. But, last night I couldn't sleep, and didn't want to have silence but didn't want to listen to the same stuff we listen to all the time. So, I turned it on. We listened to jazz and ambient stations...and surprisingly, I was out like a light in minutes.

Who knew that the same thing that inspires me to write music on a day to day basic could inspire me to sleep dreamlessly and well? It was amazing!

Currently I have it turned to classic hits radio, and "Hold On Loosely" by .38 Special is playing. CLASSIC! Oh man. Good stuff. I'm quite young...but I love classic rock a lot. Every time I have people over at our apartment I turn it to classic rock because it doesn't offend anyone, plus it keeps the mood up and conversation going.

I generally listen to punk rock on a normal basis. This is the genre of music for my generation. There's no other way to describe how we feel about the confusing places we are put in from being...I don't know, in the middle. So I listen to a lot of the genre. I know it is hard for a lot of people born before 1978 to understand the point of it, but if you listen to the lyrics, it explains it all.

My favorite band happens to be Brand New. Don't know them? Go look them up. Yes, they DO SCREAM sometimes in their songs. However, several of their songs explain so well how I have felt in the past that I feel almost spiritually connected to the singer. So many songs from the 70's and 80's are written based solely on love. What about every other thing a person goes through in their life?

Punk rock actually now has so many sub-genres it is confusing. It can be so multi-faceted that one can't choose just one whole genre. Emo is term used considerably thsese days. What is emo, do you ask?

Emotional. It is emotional. I love writing while listening to emo music. You can feel what you write, because the music does move you. Despite the bad rep it gets for being so, "Woe is me, life is terrible, nobody understands," it really can move people.

So, I'm just wondering...What get's you writing? What's playing on your computer while you tap out the words to your latest blog?

1 ghetto sass:

Chad said...

Ok, hooked on your blog...

I will listen to everything. My iPod has swing to punk to classical (and the combination: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SGigthgbpDI&feature=PlayList&p=6DAF813EC9761AF6&playnext=1&playnext_from=PL&index=1)

If you have some sort of MP3 player, you should get a facebook account, check out their music app. It hooks to your MP3 player and will find free music to download that sounds like what you a listening to.

For me, though, Ska-Punk.