BLOGGER TEMPLATES AND TWITTER BACKGROUNDS »

Monday, October 5, 2009

The Letter of Doom

I am supposed to be working on a letter to my manager and district manager about being given the consideration for a promotion.  I finally got the nerve last week to talk to my store manager about it, and she didn't say much when I told her my thoughts on it.  I don't think she wants to promote me, and it makes me really mad.  She hasn't even taken the time to get to know me since I've transferred to her store.  She doesn't want to work with me on anything, and she doesn't give me any responsibilities.  She is the one that told me most sales associates show no interest in wanting to be promoted; I think she just ignores them.

All in all, I've had no problems working in my new environment.  It's more fast-paced than the other store I worked at, so there is more to do and less time to fill with unnecessary projects, and I like it that way.  Only, for sales associates, if it is slow, there is literally nothing for us to do.  Our manager just doesn't want to give us any work, so the hours can drag by and it makes work dull.  I want more to do.  I'm interested in being a manager.  I watched the part-time assistant yesterday and she was nonstop busy.  She had things to do.  Reports to send in.  Damages to send out.  People to call.  Emails to write.  What did I do?  I stood around.  About three hours after being there I had cleaned the entire store and refolded 1200 shirts and that's about all there is to do for an associate.  They don't challenge us, yet they say the associates are the ones that show no interest?  Right.

So, this letter I'm going to write is going to represent the reasons why I think I should be given a chance.  I want to point out all the things I already know, the very small list of things they really have to teach me (since I was already a keyholder), and the things they have to lose.  NOTHING.  They have nothing to lose.  No one has applied for the part-time assistant because no one in this area has manager experience.  I DO!  AND I ALREADY WORK FOR THE COMPANY!  Ugh!  Just give me a chance.  If it doesn't work, it doesn't work.  But I know I'll do great.

I can't get started on the letter.  I'm at a blank.  I don't want it to sound corny, and I don't want to praise myself too much.  I just want to make it understood that I am willing to accept the responsibility and the opportunity and I'm serious about it.  But when I've already told them that, in person, and they didn't give two shits, how am I supposed to do that in my proposal letter? 

I'll probably start writing, and see what comes out, then go from there.  At least I'll have something to work with and edit.  Maybe ideas will start popping up once I'm on a roll.

6 ghetto sass:

Susan R. Mills said...

Yes, just get on a roll and see what you come up with. You can edit and perfect the letter later. Good luck!

Stephanie Faris said...

Praise yourself. I was reading on a resume advice site recently that THIS is the time for you to sing your own praises. Sell yourself!

Kell said...

All ya can do is just start writing. Good luck!

Tina Lynn said...

I agree with Miss Faris. Toot your own horn.

Lisa said...

I'm job hunting right now and it is so hard sometimes to sell yourself and talk yourself up to employers. But I'm gonna repeat all your other commenters and say, YES, toot your own horn!

N J said...

That's really sad to know... I empathize with you on what has happened. Hope the letter helps you to find what's on store for you. Good luck friend.