BLOGGER TEMPLATES AND TWITTER BACKGROUNDS »

Saturday, September 5, 2009

Ooh, Guilty Pleasures...

We all have them.  Dark chocolate, 80's movies, cheesy pop music, stereotypical romance novels...I think we probably all have several guilty pleasures.
Personally, I see nothing wrong with them.  I would never make fun of someone for taking pleasure in an food, music, or hobby that I might not get.  I mean, after all, I like Hanson.  As in, the trio brother band that sang the hit "MMMBop" back in 1997.  I'm young enough I can say, "Hey, I was 11 when they came out!"  Some might not see it that way.

I also like popcorn flavored Jelly Bellies.  You know, the jelly beans known for having every flavor you can think of?  Including the release of Harry Potter inspired flavors like ear wax, booger, vomit, and spinach.  My dad bought a box one time when we took a journey to Borders.  They always sell them at the register.  He ate ALL of them.  And he vouches, "They all taste exactly as they are named."  I've never had the nerve to try one, although I did take a whiff of my boyfriends breath once after eating Dirt.  It smelled like dirt.  Popcorn flavored, though, are my favorite.  I used to by them by the bag-full in high school, and all my friends HATED me because they claimed they smelled bad.  My English teacher tried one, and immediately spit it out in his hand and claimed I was crazy.  He also wore a T-shirt that proclaimed: "I love animals.  They taste great."  Besides the point, though.  I'm also a sucker for crappy 80's and 90's pop music.  I like silly YA novels, still, and will buy them occasionally just to get out of my "adult" frame of mind.  I still buy CDs every month, despite being able to get them cheaper online.  I like having the physical recording.  Then again, that could just be an addiction...My collection is probably the envy of even the biggest collectors.

While I was at work the other day, one of my co-workers made fun of me and another manager because we liked Hanson.  Or rather, still like Hanson.  I said to her, "What?  Are you saying you don't have any guilty pleasures that other people don't like?"  She is a little older than I am, but I am not so young that I don't remember her generation of music.  She said, "Well if you're talking about when I was younger, I liked New Kids On The Block."  HA!  I am too young to claim I owned any of their cassette tapes (unlike my collection of Michael Jackson), but I DID own pink slippers and I know the words to "You Got It (The Right Stuff)".  And probably several other songs if you played them.  This particular manager now has a three foot black mohawk with hot pink on the sides and dresses in all black.  I'm sure her friends would shun her if she admitted to liking the 80's boy band.

My friend Sheri has an addiction to chocolate- any and ALL chocolate.  Every time she comes over, she immediately has to deposit an entire BAG of candy bars in our freezer to keep them from melting.  She says she can't go on through the day without her fix of chocolate.  I'm not sure if that is an addiction or a guilty pleasure. 

There IS a difference between guilty pleasures and bad habits, though.  Guilty pleasures are usually harmless, non-addictive activities we indulge in once in a while.  Smoking several times a day- bad habit.  Drinking everyday- bad habit.  My mom's intake of coffee- bad habit.  All are also addictions.  My bad habit- I over eat when I get stressed.  Ugh.  No wonder I can never lose weight. 

So, what is YOUR guilty pleasure?  What is your bad habit?  What is the strangest guilty pleasure you've heard of?  What's the WORST habit you've seen? 

6 ghetto sass:

Stephanie Faris said...

Food, I'd say. But to keep the calories down, I find low-calorie things to indulge in. For a while it was Diet Stewart's Orange and Cream soda. Now it's those Fuse beverages with "Slenderizer" vitamins in them. Not sure if the slenderizer works...

Anonymous said...

Miss Nicolette, I followed you here from your MySpace status :) I love finding new blogs to read! I have one, but made it private since I haven't updated in forever and (reading back) it's pretty pathetic.

LOVE this post. Hanson, definately still following them (and you should inform people that their NEW stuff is almost unrecognizable from their original stuff'). Actually, Taylor is the lead singer in a new band called "Tinted Windows" with members of Cheap Trick, Smashing Pumpkins and others... You should check that out if you haven't already... Give it a few trys because I didn't care for it at first. Now it's MY guilty pleasure...along with any type of baked good...and shopping when I know I don't have the money...and buying expensive hair products...

Good post! :)

Roni Loren said...

I still love NKOTB, just went to a concert recently and acted like a fool. No matter how many times I've seen it, I can still watch Dirty Dancing and love it. And I love Big Brother. I would consider those all guilty pleasures.

As for food: pillsbury cinnamon rolls from the can, and kraft mac and cheese (the more electric orange the better)

Anonymous said...

i love 80s music, i aint ashamed as i dont think it's a guilty pleasure, i believe 80s music was simply the best decade of music, yes even the 90s music i used to consider bad i now appreciate because this decade was pretty bad in music terms, i've always been a shameless boyband fan, the backstreet boys being my all-time favorite along with the one i am a bit embarrassed to say i like because when they arrived on the music seen i actually hated them... and yes i like watching the 80s movies because the hair and fashion was i atrocious, that's my guilty pleasure because i laugh out loud everytime i watch that. food, it's gotta be cheese cake, i used to hate it till my mom baked it, and it's been my favorite since along with humming bird cake, it's semi-soggy and just tastes heavenly, and my newly acquired guilty pleasure homemade muesli bar...

Dawn said...

Nice post; I've set out to answer all four of the questions you added at the end.

My guilty pleasures include 80s music and chocolate chip cookie dough. My bad habits including biting my fingernails and "picking" (this occurs when I'm stressed). The strangest guilty pleasure I heard was actually on the radio. This girl called in to say that she liked to smell dirty underwear! (Gross.) The worst bad habit I've seen is probably the abuse of alcohol, drugs, and the like...

Alexis Voltaire said...

My guilty pleasure is anything and everything Miley Cyrus, haha.