BLOGGER TEMPLATES AND TWITTER BACKGROUNDS »

Monday, August 31, 2009

Some Thoughts on...Life

This is going to be just a general blog, because I spent the day in bed with a migraine and any hard thinking causes something to start pulsing in the left side of my head, blinding me. 

I thought I would announce something first and foremost, although it isn't exactly exciting.  I submitted a query to an agent early last week, and I haven't heard anything back.  Could be good or bad, but I consider no news good news, because today was dreadful, and I'd like to look on the positive side of things.  I don't do that very often.  I'm a half-glass empty kind of person, and have a hard time looking at the things that are good in my life.

I have had writer's block for over a week now.  I was really tapping along with my next novel, then suddenly, I went blank.  I'm not sure how many of the inspiring novelists on here use outlines before beginning a novel, but I don't usually do it.  I will write out the idea, first, so I don't lose it, and then I will write the beginning.  Sometimes I will write the middle chapters first, think of how it could end, progress to the beginning.  I actually KNOW how this novel is going to end.  It was the first thing that came to my mind when I started it.  But I'm having a hard time getting there now, even though I once saw it so clearly.  It's frustrating!  I blame it on the severe stress that has taken over my life lately.  Does anyone else have a hard time concentrating on writing during hard times? 

I have a promising job opportunity.  I finished up the paperwork the company sent to me earlier today and plan on hearing back tomorrow, but this heavy lifting from my shoulders has done NOTHING to inspire me.  It is just after 9 PM and I'm ready for bed already.  I've even got my Bedtime Story cup of tea beside me, and the book I'm currently reading is on standby on my end table.  I'm hoping once I hear back tomorrow I'll be ready to finish the book I'm writing and get on with life!

So, this leads to my next question:
My first novel is young adult, therefore I've been searching for agents that represent YA novels.  The one I'm working on now, though, is fiction literature.  If and when I finish this, do most publishers like to be the soul publishers of an author?  Is it proper to go through two separate agents for two separate novels?  I'm new to this business, so I've got a million questions on my mind about it.

I hope that everyone had a great beginning to their week!  Phoenix is FINALLY getting the first real storm of monsoon season and I'm enjoying it.  It has cooled off immensely!  How's the weather where everyone else is?

2 ghetto sass:

Stephanie Faris said...

I'm no expert, so someone else may be able to answer this better, but I believe most agents will represent whatever you write. I, like you, write young adult as well as adult fiction (mostly women's fiction/romance). Occasionally I'll see an agent say he/she represents YA but not women's fiction/romance or vice versa. I submit anyway, figuring if that agent does represent me eventually, and I end up presenting him/her with a novel outside of what he/she normally represents, MOST of the time any agent is going to choose to try to get that published. If not, I guess you'd have to have two agents but I don't personally know any authors who have two agents. Heck, if the agent is really good and absolutely refuses to represent YA, I guess I wouldn't write YA or I would try to get it published sans agent...and say, "Hey, just sold a book...do you want to start representing me with this publisher too now?" I don't think any agent would necessarily mind representing you AFTER the sale was made...the hold-up comes when that agent simply doesn't have the connections to go out and try to convince YA publishers to represent you.

Anyway, as you can see, I'm still figuring this out myself so I'll be interested to see what others have to say.

Nicolette said...

Thanks, Stephanie. I was confused about how it all worked when I was researching new agents to send letters to. I'm looking to finish up my next book here in a couple months and get a friend to help edit it and I wasn't sure if I should send it to totally separate agents. What if you got turned down for the YA novel but maybe the adult fiction would be a better match for the agent?

This is all crazy frustrating!